Travel West and Old South. Themes. Why and how people traveled to the American West Antebellum Life under slavery Structure of Southern society . Why Travel?. Religion - Mormons Free Land Gold . Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon Church).
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Central and South America, Europe, Australia, and Asia
-Between 1840-1860 approximately 300,000 made the journey: 200,000 California, 53,000 Oregon, 43,000 Utah
- by 1840: 51.6%
- by 1860: 57.5%
- lived on large plantations with at least 10 slaves
- worked in “gangs” under close supervision
- Slaves developed close family ties, marriages were common and encouraged by slave owners
- Underground Railroad
- Harriet Tubman, former slaves, led others to freedom
-Promised Land (freedom)
- Stories of Jews enslaved by Egyptian Pharaohs
- “Curse of Ham”: “Cursed be Canaan; lowest of slaves shall he be to his brothers” (Gen 9:20)
- 3/5 Compromise